Appear TV’s encoding and transcoding functionality furthers Appear TV universal head-end philosophy. This functionality means that Appear TV solutions now provide total flexibility and control over inputs, outputs, encoding and transcoding, so that the company’s head-ends are truly universal, being capable of taking any input and providing any output.
Total flexibility in the Appear TV head-end has been achieved by the production of the new real-time, high-quality broadcast video encoding and transcoding modules. The universal head-ends save space and provide the level of functionality required as broadcast architectures gain in complexity.
High density broadcast quality encoding (HD/SD SDI Encoder)
Appear TV’s MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 AVC (also know as Part 10 or H.264) encoder solution is able to encode digital video data in all common distribution profiles from SD to HD. Input is digital SDI/HDSDI with embedded audio, or analog CVBS (Composite) with separate analog audio.
The digital encoder is available in a dual HD/quad SD variant and a dual SD/HD variant with AES inputs.
High performance rate and format conversion (HD/SD Transcoder)
Appear TV’s Transcoder solution is able to transcode digital video data in all common distribution profiles from SD to HD. The transcoder module is able to transcode AVC to MPEG-2, MPEG-2 to MPEG-2, MPEG-2 to AVC, and AVC to AVC. Each module supports transcoding of 4 SD channels or 2 HD channels, providing up to 64 channels per 4 RU chassis. The transcoder operates in three different encoder rate control modes: Constant Bit Rate (CBR), Capped Variable Bit Rate (CVBR), as well as Statistical Multiplexing (Statmux).
Appear TV's statistical multiplexing solution allows constraining the output bitrate of a group of coder modules to a fixed value. This solution ensures that constrained distribution channels are utilized to the fullest, and allows more services to be multiplexed together without affecting video quality. The Appear TV statistical multiplexing solution is highly flexible compared to competing solutions; all coder products may work together in any mode in the same group. Mixing of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4, SD and HD and 50 and 60 Hz services is fully supported.
The multi-format encoder and transcoder module fits into the Appear TV head-end and can be used in combination with any input and output modules available, thus eliminating the need for an external encoder or transcoder unit.
- High quality hardware encoders/transcoders for broadcast
- Full decode and re-encode transcoder architecture
- Modular platform, available in 4 RU and 1 RU variant
- Encoding of up to 32 HD or 64 SD channels in one 4 RU chassis
- Transcoding of up to 250 SD / 64 HD in one 4 RU chassis
- Input options for encoding:
- SDI/HD-SDI with embedded audio or AES/EBU inputs (hardware option)
- Analog CVBS (Composite) with analog audio or AES/EBU inputs (hardware option)
- Analog RF, PAL/SECAM/NTSC (hardware option)
- Input options for transcoding:
- IP unicast/multicast
- DVB-C / ITU-T J.83 Annex A, B and C
- Encoding and transcoding of:
- MPEG-2 HD and SD
- MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) HD and SD
- Rate control:
- Constant bitrate (CBR)
- Capped-variable bitrate (CVBR)
- Statistical multiplexing
- Supported formats:
- 576i 50 Hz (PAL)
- 480i 59.94 Hz (NTSC)
- 720p 50 Hz, 59.94 Hz, 60 Hz
- 1080i 50 Hz, 59.94 Hz, 60 Hz
- Audio support:
- MPEG-1 Layer 2
- HE-AAC v1/v2
- Dolby® Digital / Dolby® Digital Plus pass-through
- Dolby® Digital / Dolby® Digital Plus decoding (downmix)
- VBI/VANC processing
- Demultiplexing and descrambling (CAM/DVB-CI and bulk descrambling available)
- Self-managed redundancy options:
- 1+1 redundancy
- N+1 redundancy on module level
- Switch/Management redundancy, removing all single points of failure (XC5000 only)
- All components replaceable and hot-swappable
- Intuitive web-based user control
- Dual redundant hot-swappable power supplies
- Monitoring of power and fans
- SNMP trap generation
- SOAP/XML interface for external control